Sunday 21 September 2014

Back in school, one thing I looked forward to was the recess time when I would eat my lunch. Either it would be a home-made sandwich or coins which added up to 10 rupees. It had been a fair amount of lunch money for that time considering the rate for different lunchtime snacks were:
Samosa :  Rs. 2             as opposed to Rs.20-25 now

Cola bottle : Rs. 8         as opposed to Rs. 25 now
Top pops (trade name : Just time) large pack : Rs.5      
( I don't know if they are sold anywhere anymore) would pay anything for them now.


  Not a fan of physical activity, food was all i looked forward to.
  I remember  how my fingertips used to be red from the spice of the top-pops, and my tongue orange from residue of the cheap and refreshing ice lolly by the time break was over. and how depressing it was to hear the bell when some of my top-pops were remaining. But as soon as the bell rang I would retreat to my seat , carefully dusting my skirt and wiping my hands on the sides before the maths teacher came. Food was all i cared about, and frankly so.

All these memories flooded my mind with the sight of the same lolly that my niece is happily licking right now, absosrbed in the sensation of tingling tastebuds without a worry on mind. Any moment now she will look towards me and spread her little palms forward , an indication for me to wash her hands and clean them with wipes later on.

2 comments: